Sunday, September 16, 2007

DIRTY DIRTY HOUSE MUSIC

Is anyone else sick of seeing "I My Boyfriend" t-shirts EVERYWHERE???


You know the over-sized, 80s-styled t-shirts I'm talking about:









Although many suburbanites may think THAT fashion retailer reinvigorated the trend, Suburban Fashionistas know that the international fashion houses were kicking waaaaay cooler slogan tees ages ago.




I don't think I'm going out on a limb here to say that the majority of I My Boyfriend t-shirt wearers have no idea who Karen Walker is.

Everett Rogers, in his book "Diffusion of Innovations" (1962), said there are five categories that we fit into when it comes to adopting new technology:

  1. innovators
  2. early adopters
  3. early majority
  4. late majority
  5. laggards

In relation to the revival of these now unfortunately ubiquitous t-shirts, the innovators were the designers & their risk-taking muses.

The early adopters can be seen as the Mischa Barton/Lindsay Lohan/Olsen Twin set.

The early majority are the ones that took inspiration from photos of the above stars wearing the gear.

The late majority are the gaggles of 15 year old girls currently rocking them around your local shopping centre.

The laggards will start appearing soon as the t-shirts hit the sale racks.

I admit, it's a fun trend... BUT who wants to look like everyone else? Here's some tips to get the most out of your slogan tee:

  • Find one that's a little bit more quirky or individual like this one:

  • Promise me that you won't wear it with tights and UGG BOOTS!!!

  • Dress right for your shape: if you have a narrow frame, go up a size and wear it as
    a fun dress cinched in with a belt. If you are curvier, go down a size and wear it as an
    ordinary t-shirt with jeans, shorts or a skirt to avoid looking like a fluorescent tent.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was having the same issues with all of those fugly tops at THAT fashion retailer the other day.

I'm not even going there, I liked all the ones that came out last year, Yabba Dabba Do etc. But even then, it's a bit too 80's and try hard for my taste.

By January it will be the most passe look so if you're into it do it now!
Paige x

Mel said...

Even worse are the recent t-shirts out that have "I love my British boyfriend", "I love my Scottish boyfriend" etc etc "I love my [insert nationality] boyfriend". Everyone loves their boyfriends. There are also plenty of other things we love that conveniently go unmentioned on t-shirts!